Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Managing Asthma

Having an asthma is not a funny thing. You gotta take limitations with what you eat, do or whatsoever things that may trigger your asthma.

Janine already had this chronic lung disease (I posted about her first asthma attack here). My husband also told me that he had experienced asthma attacks when he was younger, and he was even hospitalized because of that. And oh, include me in the list cos I am asthmatic too. It started when I was a kid, said my mother. They actually believed that my asthma started when I fell from the top of the cabinet. Yeah that's true, a lot of people here in the Philippines (particularly the oldies) believed that when a kid falls from a hammock, a crib or anything elavated will cause this what they call "piang" (I don't know if there's an exact english explanation for this but it's closely related to having a fractured/cracked/injured bone or some specific parts of your body that gets affected after a hard fall) I don't know if it's real or just an old Filipino belief, but as far as I can remember, Janine also started having asthma attack a couple of hours after she fell so badly from her crib down to the hard floor (I did considered that reason though it's quite hard to believe).

Okay now let's move on.
Yesterday, I did a little research regarding asthma attack on kids particularly, Managing Asthma.
Good thing I found this info from kidshealth.org...


Identifying and Controlling Asthma Triggers, so here are some common triggers:
  • allergens, including microscopic dust mites present in house dust, carpets, and pillows; animal dander and saliva; pollens and grasses; molds; foods; medications; and cockroaches
  • viral infections, including the common cold and the flu
  • irritants, including smoke, air fresheners, aerosols, paint fumes, hair spray, and perfumes
  • exercise
  • breathing in cold air
  • weather changes
The article also includes an asthma action plan to help control symptoms and flare-ups.

Asthma Action Plan
click here for full view
I will keep a hard copy of this... my instinct tells me to have one.

I don't want my little girl to spend another day at the hospital because I know how she hates that place and she hates the nebulizer, and I also hate being there too (I always feel like a prisoner when I'm in a hospital).
So whenever she gets asthma, I try to keep her calm. I don't let her cry or play too much.
I have also read my mother's old book of natural medications and it was stated there that milk, biscuits, breads, cereals and cookies (many are mentioned there, I just don't remember everything) are not good when you are currently experiencing asthma cos it will only cause mucus build-up that will worsen the condition - oh... this was really helpful!


So how do you manage asthma attack?


don't worry mom, I can manage this asthma. I am a strong girl, remember? and I am a cutie...



come on let's take a pose!





2 comments:

Justin said...

I'm so sorry that your daughter has asthma. And yeah it'll probably cause some scary situations, but at least she's not dealing with anything fatal (I always try to find the positive in any situation). When I was little, I was diagnosed with asthma, but I "grew out of it." I thought it was weird, but apparently it's kinda common. I hope the same happens to your daughter. I wish her the best!

Niña said...

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your comment.
Well, we keep praying that her asthma goes away forever.